History of Medical Faculty

The Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University is one of the leading medical faculties [1] in Indonesia. Diponegoro University Faculty of Medicine was founded on October 1, 1961, and in 2011 celebrated its 50th anniversary in providing the tri dharma of higher education in Indonesia. Affiliated with Dr. Hospital Kariadi which provides education for medical students, interns / koas, and specialist residents. Referring to the THES-QS Top World University Rankings in 2007, for the Life Science and Biomedicine categories, Diponegoro University’s medical faculty is at number 410.

Located on Jalan Prof. Sudarto SH Tembalang, Semarang, the FK UNDIP campus is integrated with Dr. Hospital. Kariadi and Diponegoro National Hospital

Since the Japanese occupation era, education was initiated to meet the needs of doctors at that time. This school then just disappeared when the Japanese government was dissolved. In 1955 the Djojo-bojo Foundation (whose members included dr. Boentaran and dr. Atmadi Wreksoatmodjo) aspired to establish a Medical Faculty. This effort was not successful because of the lack of coordination between the Head of Health Inspection with the head of the Hospital and the Head of City Health due to the atmosphere of political parties and groups at that time. Whereas in the city of Semarang there is already a Semarang Central General Hospital, which is representative enough to be a teaching hospital for a medical faculty.

In 1958, dr. Heyder bin Heyder and dr. Soerarjo Darsono met with the President of Diponegoro University (at that time Soedarto, SH) and expressed the idea of ​​establishing a Medical Faculty, considering that many of Gadjah Mada University’s medical students were registered in Semarang.

The Diponegoro University Foundation was founded in 1959 and has a Faculty of Law, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Teacher Training and Education and Faculty of Engineering. This fact encourages the desire to establish a Medical Faculty. In a joint meeting of the Semarang / Diponegoro University Foundation with the Senate Management of Diponegoro University on June 10, 1960, with the encouragement of dr. R. Atmadi Wreksoatmodjo, it was decided to establish the Faculty of Medicine. A Medical Faculty Establishment Committee was formed, chaired by Suyono Atmo, with the secretary Sri Widojati Notoprodjo, SH. In addition, a Technical Committee chaired by Colonel dr. R. Soehardi, secretary of dr. Heyder bin Heyder, with members consisting of dr. R. Colonel, dr. A. Soerojo, dr. R. Marsaid S. Sastrodihardjo, dr. Tjiam Tjwan Hok and dr. R. Soedjati.

Actually Semarang RSUP since 1951 has been carrying out the task of educating co-assistants from the Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, especially in the Children, Midwifery and ENT sections. Although at that time examinations for co-assistants were still being carried out in Yogyakarta, at least the Semarang Central General Hospital had experience in educating medical students, especially in clinical clerkship. On March 9, 1961, the technical committee held a plenary meeting and made the following decisions:

1. The Head of the Hospital is appointed ex officio as the official of the Dean, so that he can immediately start carrying out the preparations, while dr. Heyder bin Heyder as assistant dean and secretary.
2. The committee considers the Semarang Central General Hospital to be representative enough to become a teaching hospital.
3. The committee approved the six and a half year education curriculum plan that had been prepared by dr. Atmadi Wreksoatmodjo.
4. Considering that preparations for the pre-clinical level still took time, it was decided to open the Faculty of Medicine from above. Information was obtained that at the Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta there were many senior students who were willing to move to Semarang.
On March 29, 1961, dr. Heyder bin Heyder and dr. Soerarjo Darsono met Prof. Soedjono Djoened Poesponegoro, Dean of the University of Indonesia Jakarta Medical University, to ask for advice and advice as well as assistance in relation to the preparations for the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine in Semarang. Prof. Soedjono was able to understand the wishes of the committee and the local community and agreed with it, even willing to provide assistance to lecturers at the University of Indonesia (implemented in 1963).

There was a replacement of the leadership of RSUP Semarang from dr. Atmadi Wreksoatmodjo to dr. Soepaat Soemosoedirdjo, so that only on July 1, 1961 a Presidential Decree No. Diponegoro Semarang University was issued. 782 C, regarding the appointment of dr. Soepaat Soemosoedihardjo as the head of the Faculty of Medicine and dr. Heyder bin Heyder as Secretary of the Faculty. However, because dr. Soep when Soemosoedirdjo, who had just arrived from Klaten, had not yet studied the problem, then dr. Heyder bin Heyder assigned to carry out all activities.

Other preparations carried out are dr. R. Soerarjo Darsono and dr. Heyder bin Heyder held negotiations with the Head of the Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University Yogyakarta and top level students of the UGM Faculty of Medicine. On July 12, 1961 a delegation consisting of Soedarto SH as the holder of the position of the President of the Diponegoro University Semarang, dr. Heyder bin Heyder as the Faculty Secretary and dr. Soepaat Soemosoedirdjo as Head of RSUP Semarang before facing the Minister of PTIP. Prof. Iwa Koesoemasoemantri (PTIP minister) welcomed the preparation for the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine, even saying “For the Dean I don’t need someone who is smart but what he needs is someone who is honest.”

Minister of Health, Prof. dr. Satrio happily welcomed and suggested that the position of first dean be given to an ABRI member, with the consideration that during the preparation stage there would be many difficulties, because Central Java was still in an emergency state at that time.

Both the PTIP Minister and the Minister of Health disagreed that the Head of the Medical Faculty was concurrently the Chair of the Central General Hospital. Given the stance of the two ministers, on that very day, July 12, 1961 in Jakarta, the delegation submitted a written request to the Minister of PTIP to appoint Colonel dr. Soewondo, doctor of DKT Kodam VII as dean and dr. Heyder bin Heyder, head of the Semarang Hospital Surgery Section as his representative.

On March 29, 1961, dr. Heyder bin Heyder and dr. Soerarjo Darsono met Prof. Soedjono Djoened Poesponegoro, Dean of the University of Indonesia Jakarta Medical University, to ask for advice and advice as well as assistance regarding the preparation for the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine in Semarang. Prof. Soedjono was able to understand the wishes of the committee and the local community and agreed with it, even willing to provide assistance to lecturers at the University of Indonesia (implemented in 1963).

There was a replacement of the leadership of RSUP Semarang from dr. Atmadi Wreksoatmodjo to dr. Soepaat Soemosoedirdjo, so that only on July 1, 1961 a Presidential Decree No. Diponegoro Semarang University was issued. 782 C, regarding the appointment of dr. Soepaat Soemosoedihardjo as the head of the Faculty of Medicine and dr. Heyder bin Heyder as Secretary of the Faculty. However, because dr. Soep when Soemosoedirdjo, who had just arrived from Klaten, had not yet studied the problem, so dr. Heyder bin Heyder assigned to carry out all activities.

Other preparations carried out are dr. R. Soerarjo Darsono and dr. Heyder bin Heyder held negotiations with the Head of the Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University Yogyakarta and the students of grade a